31 July 2005

NZ +3: Touristy Christchurch

We went into Christchurch today and spent a little more time there. Much of this time was spent eating, which seems to be a developing theme of the holiday so far, but that's not a bad thing. Here's a quick synopsis of the non-food related aspects of being a tourist in the city...



I take back what I said about Christchurch Cathedral. It's actually really lovely. Just like a mini version of a "proper" cathedral! We climbed to the top of the tower, as mentioned in Breakfast Blog Below, so you're going to get the obligatory "view from the top"...



The Minnellium Flowery Chip Cone is evident again...

This is the Lord's Prayer in Maori from a wall inside the cathedral...*



*Also available on a tea towel in the gift shop.



And the permit to take photos inside the cathedral cost $4.00, so appreciate them!



The tram is more of a tourist trap than it is a useful mode of transport for anyone. It's a circular route which seems to take about five minutes. You could possibly walk it in six. It does, however, go "ding, ding" as they should, and lends a sort of colonial aspect to the city which I thought it would have in abundance, but which actually it doesn't. (Apart from it being called Christchurch and being in Canterbury, I suppose...)



This is Scott.
Of the Antarctic.

It was while I was taking this picture that I realised, to my shame, that that's really all I know about him. Don't know when he was about, don't know his first name, don't know whether he was British or a New Zealander, don't know if he was the "I may be gone some time" man or if that was someone else. Surmised he went to the South Pole and was very brave, but have made mental note to self to learn new facts about him. Will let you know how I get on...


And finally and very quickly. As you will know, it's compulsory to take a photo of a strange telephone box. So here it is:

No comments: