17 August 2005

NZ +20: Hiking to Huka

This afternoon, we went to see the Huka Falls, which are where the Waikato River (in UK: River Whatever, eg. River Thames, River Itchen. In NZ: Whatever River, eg. Waikato River) carves and plunges and all those guidebook words through a narrow channel and they put up a tea room and toilet and souvenir shop. It's free to go and see the falls though. Here they are...



Now, I feel I actually did it properly, because I walked from Taupo along the bank of the river to get to them. I'm probably making it sound dangerous and daring, but there is a proper path. It's only 3km, but the others we're too wussy to do it and went in the car. Which was useful 'cos they gave me a lift back!

The photo above are the falls proper, below is the channel that lead to them...



...which, when you are actually there, is probably more impressive.

There is a bridge, quite a sturdy looking bridge, I thought, over the falls to afford the tourist a good vantage point. And I felt quite happy about being on it until I saw this man mending it with a tile adhesive gun...



I kid you not.

Anyway, not uploading more at this internet cafe, cos they fleece you per megabyte instead of per 15 minutes like everywhere else does.

No comments: