25 August 2005

In the air (UK -1): Avoiding Iraq

The flight path from Singapore to Heathrow takes you roughly over Baghdad, but on the way over there we skirted north of Iraqi airspace and on the way back, we skirted south.

Quite what anyone expects the malcontents 11000m below to do to our plane, invisible as it would be to the naked eye, when blowing up cars with bombs made of fertilizer seems to be their limit, I don't know, but I imagine it makes most of the passengers, including me, feel better.

Anyway, I am busy blowing up things of my own...



A family of four was on the three seats directly in front of us. They are Kiwis coming to the UK to stay with relatives. All I can say is (a) God help the relatives and (b) can someone put them in touch with Dr Tanya while they are here. The two boys, possibly about 1 and 3 years old, screamed for about the first six hours of the flight. Every time they screamed they were hugged and comforted and spoken to nicely and fed. Every time one of them was quiet, Mum or Dad would disturb them by getting up or moving seats. Dad called the three year old a "scumbag" a lot. I think affectionately.

And as this leg of the journey was entirely in the dark and we weren't by the window, I couldn't distract myself with the view, so I tried literature...



(...finished the book on the flight...)

...and "food"...



Neither really worked and my plan to get some sleep resulted in several small lolling dozes, none of which lasted longer than the gaps between screaming from the row in front :-(

No comments: