22 August 2005

NZ +25: An Informed View...

I have finished reading Justin Brown's book about the UK from a Kiwi Perspective. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I might, partly because quite a lot of it was told in dialogue, which, unless he had a dictaphone going at all times, could not have been authentic; and partly because when he had almost got enough money to return back home, he was invited onto Richard and Judy and they let him keep his money and gave him an open air ticket back. Which rather felt like the reader had been cheated.

Anyway, I'm now reading...



...which I bought in Waterstones before I left, but was determined not to read until the last week of being here because I wanted to be able to relate to the places he was describing. He's a 45 year-old British ex-pat who has never quite got around to going back to the UK and has been in NZ for 15 years. His thinks his dog only has a few months to live and so then he won't have any ties here. He hitches round the country randomly, going where his lifts take him and tries to convince himself that he wants to stay. Will let you know how it turns out.

No comments: