07 August 2005

NZ +10: Christchurch Art Gallery

We spent today pottering around Chchch and I went to the Art Gallery. The others went to the supermarket. It wasn't a difficult choice.

I have no photos of the art gallery (because it was dull and rainy), no photos of the paintings or exhibits ('cos you weren't allowed to do that), so this might be quite a boring post. The two exhibitions I found really interesting were the Children's artwork - about 100 schools from the Canterbury area had submitted their paintings, drawings, collages etc and they were great. Really bright and colourful and all on the theme of My People, My Town, My Country etc, so lots of Christchurch and NZ flag waving evident in the theme.

The other really good one was lots of contemporary political lithographs by an artist called Ralph Hotere. Now, I didn't know quite what a lithograph was, but I do now.



Union Jack, N, Z and I think there might be a swastika in there too...
...and the rest of his work was more of the same, very thought provoking...

And outside the art gallery was this...



Now there's an example of an artist with a dark sense of humour...

Today is Monday, NZ +11, and we are off up to Kaikoura. Possibly to see some whales.

No comments: