13 August 2005

NZ +16: Auckland

Civilisation!
Shops!
Buildings!
People!
Motorways! (Well, nearly...)

Auckland is NZ's biggest city, despite not being the capital, and it's where everything is. Top of our list was the Sky Tower, completed in 1997 and having the highest observation deck in Southern Hemisphere. How could we not...



Scary glass floors are the big thing here. You get them in the lift...



...and around the observation deck...



...and the views are fantastic...







...especially when people jump off...



...I say "people" - it's not compulsory for all people to do it.



(And I didn't.)

We also went to Mount Eden, which is one of about 80 volcanoes in and around Auckland. We went to this one 'cos you can drive to the top of it (how lazy!) and it's also extinct, which I find helps...



More good views...



...and information...



And then we went off to Devonport, which as the UK version of the name might suggest is the home to the NZ Navy.

Here, you get the iconic view of the city...



...and a less iconic view of the NZ Navy, which seems to consist of two aging warships. Perhaps the rest are on manoeuvres. (Someone will tell me if I've spelt that wrongly.)



More of Auckland and its environs tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people around the world have a picture of their feet and that swimming pool from the top of the Sky Tower - will compare yours with mine!!

I know I am a bit of a technophobe but what happens to the pages below this one on blog?? I can't see a 1 of 2 arrow and I think I missed a day???

Susan
x

Anonymous said...

Have sorted out my technical problem - der... you wouldn't believe I was your sister really eh?

Susan
x