10 August 2005

NZ +13: The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Just to keep you up to date with reading habits and offer recommendations...

I've just read this:



...which is a very quick read, but very good. Thought-provking, but a bit predictable in that I guessed who the fifth person he would meet would be shortly after he met the second. I know Cesia and Steve have both read it, so they may care to add their observations!

I then read...



...which is an even quicker read. The author used to be a script writer on Brookside and so he writes scally kids quite well. The movie was on the plane on the way here and if it's still showing on the way back, I'll watch it. Can't quite see James Nesbit playing the dad, which apparently he does.

Now reading...



...which is very funny, although it seems strange reading a travel book which basically goes round the British Isles when I'm on the other side of the world. Perhaps my strange way of feeling at home...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved 5 People...the book that is not a personal statement..no comments thank you about the number of people I have loved thanks Ian! It has been a while since I read it but it is one of those books I think everyone should read. Predictable? Probably but a good story nonetheless

Anonymous said...

How very spooky! This is the first time I have checked out your blog (is that what you call it?) and glad to hear all is well Ian. I am sat on my balcony with my laptop on my lap (good place for it I suppose) and 'The Five People I Met in Heaven' in my hand. Bought it today . . . just met second person. . . and loving it. Just my cup of tea as they say!

Had it recommended (spelling?) to me by a friend but couldn't remember the title. (Why exactly I couldnt Im not sure!) Went into Waterstones and ended up asking for 'The THREE people I met in Heaven' which caused much hilirity amongst the literary folk who work there - must even strangers humiliate me?